These fire safety tips will keep your holiday celebrations from going up in flames.
House fires are common accidents during the winter holiday season. With a little caution, you can protect your family and property from these potential dangers and damages. How many of the following fire safety tips are you already practicing?
- Place your tree carefully. Live or fake, it needs to be far from your fireplace or any source of heat. Never light candles near your tree.
- Choose fake trees carefully. Look for a label indicating that your tree is flame-resistant.
- Keep live trees well watered. A dried-out tree is a much larger fire hazard than one that has been consistently hydrated.
- Dispose of a live tree safely. Many out-of-control Christmas tree fires begin intentionally when a family member tries to burn it as an act of disposal.
- Never leave candles unattended. Those little flames are beautiful, and they certainly create a cozy holiday atmosphere – but when not handled responsibly, they can turn dangerous and destructive.
- Use space heaters in moderation. These heat sources are not designed to run constantly. Turn them off when you leave the room, and never use one while you're sleeping.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by. If a grease fire breaks out while you're preparing a holiday meal, water will only make it worse. A fire extinguisher could save your home.
When you need a physician referral, Plaza Medical Center of Forth Worth can point you in the right direction. Keep our number on hand: 1-855-80PLAZA.