This Thursday, make one of the best decisions of your life: the decision to quit smoking!
The Great American Smokeout is coming up in just two days! Will you be tossing out your cigarettes and committing to a smoke-free life? Many smokers find that quitting is easier when they pick a day in advance, emotionally prepare themselves, and make a public commitment. Here are some reasons to ditch the tobacco this Thursday, November 15th.
- You'll reduce your risk of several cancers. Smoking is linked to lung cancer, breast cancer, throat cancer bladder cancer, and many more.
- You'll decrease your chances of heart disease. A smoke-free life keeps your cardiovascular system healthy and strong.
- You'll cut your risk of stroke in half. According to the National Stroke Association, smokers are twice as likely to experience a stroke in their lifetime.
- You'll have stronger bones. Long-term cigarette usage will deplete your bone mineral density.
- You'll preserve your hearing. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that smokers are 70% more likely to develop hearing problems.
- You'll save money. Do the math and figure out what percentage of your income you spend on cigarettes. The number may shock you!
- You'll get better sleep. Nicotine cravings don't pause to let you get a full night's rest. Most smokers toss and turn, waking up several times a night.
Plaza Medical Center of Fort Worth is available to answer all of your health questions and concerns. Find out more about how to prevent certain medical conditions at our online health library! If you're in need of a physician referral, please give us a call at 1-855-80PLAZA.