Proper nutrition can lower your risk for some types of cancer.
An apple a day won’t really keep the doctor away, but eating right might lower your risk of certain types of cancer. Here are ten easy ways that you can improve your diet and make cancer prevention a priority in your life:
- Choose plant-based foods: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and beans. You can add more plant-based foods to your diet by topping cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt with fruit, nuts, or granola. Balance your dinner plate with 2/3 plant-based foods and the other 1/3 meat, fish, or dairy. Add veggies to pasta sauce or rice.
- Minimize your processed foods; fresher is better.
- Eat fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors and textures to get a variety of healthy phytochemicals.
- Get plenty of fiber that will keep your digestive system running smoothly
- Substitute foods with refined flour for brown rice, whole grain bread and pasta, bran, popcorn, fresh fruit and vegetables, and beans.
- Cut down on your meat eating to less than 15% of your total calories. Eat less red meat, choosing leaner meats instead, and avoid processed meats.
- Do get unsaturated “good fat” from olive and canola oil, nuts, avocados, and omega-3 from fish and flaxseeds.
- Antioxidants are found in fruits and vegetables. Beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, and selenium keep your body healthy.
- Choose spices like garlic, ginger, curry, turmeric, basil, rosemary, and coriander to flavor your foods and get important cancer fighting nutrients.
- Reduce sodium in your diet. Be sure to read labels, many processed foods used increased levels of sodium for flavoring.
Be sure to visit our online health library to learn more about how to prevent cancer through healthy eating.
Plaza Medical Center offers comprehensive and personalized cancer care for patients in every stage of their treatment process. We also offer Fort Worth’s only outpatient chemotherapy service available 24 hours, seven days a week. For a physician referral, please call 1-855-80PLAZA.